As a window company that also services auto glass in Laramie, WY, we get a lot of questions about how people can properly care for their auto glass in between professional service appointments. Auto glass is one of the most sensitive parts of your vehicle, but fortunately, it is fairly easy to care for it yourself when necessary.
Personally caring for your auto glass in Laramie, WY every month or so is a great way to keep it in prime condition. However, there are a few things that can go wrong if you aren’t an experienced auto glass cleaner. By reading the following tips and incorporating them into your auto glass care routine, you’ll be able to provide better care for your auto glass, and avoid any unintended damage.
- Use ammonia carefully: Most auto glass cleaners contain ammonia as a base. This makes sense, as ammonia is very effective in removing grease and grime from all types of glass. However, it is a very powerful chemical, and you should take care not to breathe in too much of it. Wearing a mask over your nose and mouth is a safe option, as is making sure nobody else is around when you’re cleaning, especially children. And if you have tinted windows, keep in mind that ammonia can damage the tinting, so you’ll want to find a safer alternative.
- Save glass for last: Many car owners prefer to clean and service all parts of their automobile at once. This is a smart way to do things, but you will always want to make sure your auto glass is the last thing you clean. This is because the chemicals you use on other parts of your car could damage your auto glass, and cleaning it last is a way to ensure you remove all of those harmful chemicals.
- Eliminate water spots: Water spots are some of the most irksome and stubborn damages your auto glass can incur. If you are very adamant about avoiding water spots, you’ll want to thoroughly dry your auto glass every time it gets wet, and always keep your car covered when you aren’t using it. If that isn’t a realistic option for you, don’t worry—there are polishers out there specifically for auto glass that are highly effective in removing water spots. Ask your mechanic or auto servicing shop for a good recommendation.
- Care for your wipers: Your windshield wipers have more contact with your auto glass than anything else, so you want to make sure they’re properly cared for as well. Letting the rubber on your wipers grow worn or grimy could cause serious damage to your auto glass, so use a windshield wiper cleaner and have the rubber replaced when necessary.
- Avoid sunlight: Finally, you need to put some thought into where you clean your auto glass. Harsh sunlight mixing with cleaning solutions could potentially damage your auto glass, so cleaning your auto glass either inside your garage or in a dark, cool, shady spot outside is the best option.
For more information about caring for auto glass in Laramie, WY, or to inquire about repairs or replacement, call Cowboy Glass LLC today.