Imagine you’re driving down the street when another vehicle flies past you at a high speed. Their tire kicks up a rock, which then sails into your windshield, creating a sizable chip, dead center. What a bummer! Fortunately, by taking heed of the following common causes of windshield damage, you may be able to avoid cracked, chipped and busted auto glass in Laramie, WY:
- Driving on unpaved roads: Rock-to-windshield contact on normal roads is one scenario that can leave you with chipped glass. Now, consider when you drive on a gravel road. It doesn’t matter if there’s a car in front of you or not—pieces of gravel are likely to hit your windshield as they get kicked up by your own vehicle. When driving behind other vehicles on gravel roads, keep a safe distance back, or take it slow if it’s just you.
- Hanging out behind work vehicles: Trailers hauling yard waste, trucks pulling utility trailers with tools, flat beds carrying containers of dirt or other landscape materials—we see them everyday, and there’s no doubt that most of us would prefer to not be behind construction type vehicles on any road, especially work trucks hauling things that don’t appear to be secured down. Get around these vehicles to stay safe and avoid windshield damage from falling work materials and other debris.
- All sorts of accidents: While your car’s windows are likely to break in the event of an automobile accident, there are other kinds of accidents that can do similar damage, such as neighborhood kids playing baseball in the street, a tree limb snapping off on a windy day or your spouse not looking out while carrying yard work tools. To protect your auto glass in Laramie, WY, park your car in the garage or away from high traffic areas.
- Vandalism: Although criminals are more inclined to bust a car’s side window, someone whose goal is to cause destruction couldn’t care less which window they smash. Unfortunately, it’s difficult to avoid windshield vandalism, unless you have a garage or car storage space.
- Temperature changes: Living in an area that experiences dramatic temperature changes can wreak havoc on your car’s windshield. Severe heat followed by a bone-cold chill may cause glass to both expand and contract in a short period of time at different intervals. Typically, the glass and other materials at the edges react first. This may result in long, wide cracks, to the extent that a complete windshield replacement is needed.
- Improper installation: Reason number one to get professional windshield installation is that a loose panel of glass is unsafe. The more you accelerate, the more your improperly installed windshield rattles, and may even crack as wind makes contact with it.
Whether slightly scratched or blemished with various chips and cracks, damage to windshields that go unfixed can end up costing you the price of a replacement. If you ever find yourself in need of repairs or replacements for auto glass in Laramie, WY, please don’t hesitate to contact the team at Cowboy Glass LLC.